Join over 1k people and receive free job offers in your inbox
Mission and objectives
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that supports human development globally by promoting volunteerism and by mobilizing volunteers. It is administered by UNDP and operates amidst growing recognition that volunteerism makes important contributions, economically and socially, to more cohesive societies by building trust and reciprocity among citizens.
The UNV Regional Offices (RO) provide oversight and strategic guidance to the UNV Field Units in their respective geographical assignments and are mainly accountable for the placement of UN Volunteers mobilized for UN Agencies, Funds, and Programmes focused on peace, development, and humanitarian needs. The Regional Offices also lead in scoping and delivering UNV’s advisory service offer on volunteer infrastructure. The Regional Office for Arab States (ROAS) is based in Amman, Jordan.
To increase its capacity to respond to the psychosocial and mental health care needs of UN and UNV personnel and UN Volunteers during the regional crises such as in Palestine and in the affected and neighboring countries, in Libya and in Morocco, UNV is looking for a Staff Counsellor.
Under the supervision of the UNDP Regional Stress Counselor and UNV Regional Manager, and in coordination with DCO office, the assigned International UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
• Assess UN personnel experiencing difficulty coping and/or are presenting with well-being and mental health-related symptoms or syndromes;
• Provide psychological support to individual personnel working in different geographic locations in person or through tele-counselling services;
• Deliver group sessions for offices and teams on issues of common concern. Provide advice and other support to managers to help them ensure a psychologically healthy workplace.
• Contribute to the design of policies and guidelines, as well as information / booklets to increase awareness about issues related to mental health and well-being;
• Contribute to/develop promotional materials on key topics. Deliver workshops, trainings, and information sessions on a wide range of topics (e.g. stress management, domestic violence, mental health promotion etc)
• Ensure that staff are regularly receiving relevant information and are aware of sources where to find information or assistance.
• Actively engage with management and staff with a view to identifying their concerns.
• Prepare comprehensive reports, and plan and implement other staff counseling activities to ensure the provision of cohesive counseling services.
• At the request of UNV Regional Office and the UN Country Offices in the Arab States, undertake missions to assess psychosocial risks and propose interventions to support UNDP personnel.
• Support the implementation of the UN Psychosocial Response for the crises countries.
5 years of experience in (up to 7 years) in counselling is required; experience in working in a hardship location and/or providing counselling in field locations is an asset.
• Registration as a mental health professional in the country of origin is required.
• Additional certification in trauma intervention, substance abuse counselling, cross-cultural communication is an advantage;
• Experience in counselling victims of gender-based violence is an asset;
Arabic, Level: Fluent, Required
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Master degree or equivalent in clinical psychology, counselling, clinical social work or psychiatry.
Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
27 - 80
for more information please visit app.unv.org
in Jordan , Amman city
number of positions
1 Jobs available, apply now
مستوى متوسط الأقدمية