Administrative Associate GS6
Join over 1k people and receive free job offers in your inbox
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager, the Administrative Associate assists in the overall management of administrative services, administers and executes processes and transactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the DRR, Operations Manager or Administrative Associate, the Administrative Associate for Asset Management supports the overall management and control of expendable and non-expendable UNDP assets, administers disposal of assets and subsequent renewal of inventory data; and administers and executes processes and transactions ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Associate may supervise administrative support staff. The Administrative Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and project teams in the CO, and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
UNDP adopts a portfolio approach to accommodate changing business needs and leverage linkages across interventions to achieve its strategic goals. Therefore, UNDP personnel are expected to work across units, functions, teams, and projects in multidisciplinary teams in order to enhance and enable horizontal collaboration.
Duties And Responsibilities
IV. Key Duties and Accountabilities
- Ensure implementation of operational strategies in alignment with governing rules and regulations and with a focus on consistency and quality.
- Ensure full compliance of administrative management and inventory ensuring that proper asset management is performed in adherence to UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies, and that inventory procedures are complied with at all CO units.
- Provide inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Support Assets Management.
- Assist the OM in setting up asset management procedures in the CO; and prepare, certify and submit timely inventory reports.
- Receive, inspect and verify of all incoming equipment, furniture and supplies; and tag all furniture/equipment upon receipt from the supplier. Update non-expendable property inventory records, and enter into UNDP Enterprise Resources Platform (ERP) all the requisite asset management information. Schedule deliveries to users and track movement of furniture pieces.
- Capitalize appropriate items in accordance with UNDP’s policies governing asset classes, estimated useful lives and elements of cost; and the relevant Biennium Support Budget (BSB) “Capitalized Assets (CAP)” and “Non-Capitalized Assets (NONCAP)” profiles. Use ERP, in line with the CAP and NONCAP profiles, to capitalize management assets in the UNDP balance sheet to trigger depreciation; and to “expense” items, in accordance with UNDP’s policies and procedures and in compliance with IPSAS.
- Provide support to management of physical assets disposal. Review assets and recommendations of physical assets for disposal. Prepare documentation for submission to CAP; follow up on requests and liaise with requesting unit; and maintain records on disposal actions and enter into ERP all the requisite details for recording disposals. Oversee disposal of items and accuracy of inventory data.
- Assist in the reconstruction of annual physical inventory verification exercise to ensure accuracy of records and location of property. Ensure that managers sign off on the physical count and correctness of the inventory system database.
- Identify problem areas in the inventory system to ensure reliability of information retrieved from the system (e.g., includes input and conversion of data entered into the system, maintenance of system, and corrective actions taken).
- Provide support for effective administrative and financial control in the country office.
- Assist in and provide inputs to the preparation of the unit budget
- Maintain administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Review, verify and reconcile a variety of data and reports ensuring accuracy and conformance with administrative rules and regulations.
- Consolidate and prepare summary statements for inclusion in the financial statements.
- Support knowledge building and sharing in the Country Office
- Train office/project staff and asset management focal points engaged in the conduct of physical inventory.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Ensures proper common services focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Maintenance of common services/office space management to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform.
- Coordinates implementation of Registry and Receptionist functions, supervises Registry Clerk and Receptionist, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of efficient general reception and information services.
- Provision of reliable registry services.
- Organization and coordination of shipments and customs clearance
- Coordination of travel arrangements. Performing a Buyer role in Atlas for preparation of POs for travel and other administrative expenses.
- Organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation. Preparation of POs.
- Organization of workshops, conferences, retreats
- Coordination of DSA, travel agencies, and other administrative surveys, surveys for organization of common services.
- Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters.
- Supervision of cleaning services.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Assumes back-up function for certain HR administration duties in case of absence of HR associate
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: May supervise administrative support staff.
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
Core: Full list of UNDP Core Competencies can be found here
LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility
LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner
LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site .
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies)
Thematic Area Name Definition
Business Management Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner.
- Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Knowledge of policy & procedures on PP&E; ability to prepare financial statements on PP&E; maintain Asset Management Module in ERP, perform analytical review of AM reports and asset information to ensure completeness and accuracy of asset information
- Each office to ensure sufficient inventory items are available for use as well as reporting for items which are beyond the corporate threshold of $5K and above
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Understands changes in regulatory, legal and ethical frameworks and standards for financial reporting in the public sector. Ability to extract, evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful and coherent manner to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring.
- Understands the benefits of integrated reporting, including non-financial resources such as human, social and intellectual capital, and environmental and governance performance
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education is required
- University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent field will be given due consideration, but it is not a requirement.
- Certifications in Administration and Procurement are desirable
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Minimum of 6 years (with high school diploma) or 3 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience in administration or programme support services.
- Experience in the use of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), database packages, and web-based management systems such as ERP.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required.
- Fluency in Arabic and French. Working knowledge of English.
Important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant Information About UNDP Rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
in Algeria , Algeria city
number of positions
1 Jobs available, apply now