Join over 1k people and receive free job offers in your inbox
Contract type: Consultancy
Reports to: Project Manager
Closing date: 5th October 2023
ARK is a social enterprise, empowering local communities through the provision of agile and sustainable interventions to create greater stability, opportunity, and hope for the future.
We believe that strong, resilient communities are the foundation of local, national, regional and international development and stability – and ultimately a safer, peaceful and more prosperous world. At ARK, we have delivered research and programmatic interventions validating this approach in over twenty countries since 2008. As a social enterprise we work in partnership with communities, our donors, and other implementers to build local capacities, generate opportunity and bring about sustainable change.
Learn more about our impact here: https://www.ark.international/impact
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
ARK is looking to expand our pool of consultant Interpreters to support with an upcoming Canadian government-funded programme. The aim of the project is to increase capability and resilience within key Jordanian security entities to protect the stability of Jordan from threats of terrorism and transnational organised crime in a gender sensitive manner.
Our Interpretation team plays a vital role in supporting the project. As part of this team, you will offer both consecutive and simultaneous interpretation, as well as written translation services across various project components, demonstrating commendable expertise and delivering professional results that supports the training. You'll possess a deep understanding of the project training methods, course content and technical policing terminology in both English and Arabic.
- Provide proper, clear, and faithful interpretation during training, using standard and clear language
- Ensure that the translation is technically, linguistically, and grammatically correct, error free and should meet high quality standards, and would not need further editing after completion of translation
- Check appropriate references to ensure proper use of the Tactical terminology
- Maintain confidentially on all project matters including course detail and content and on delivery matters associated with SMEs and students.
- Provide direct translation service to trainers during the delivery of courses when required. Project documents for translation will include, but not limited to, training material, letters, etc
- Provide consecutive interpretation, when required, during meetings and discussions for SMEs with clients
- Interpret all aspects of course material to deliver the assigned components in line with the project aims and objectives
- Interpret all communications from SMEs during mentoring and coaching role with Student Trainers as they deliver initial training courses to Public Security Directorate This will include communicating assessment of skills, tutorials, and action planning to the student trainers.
- Assist with interpretation during Monitoring & Evaluation data collection, including attendance sheet, and pre / post-tests, student feedback and student assessments during course delivery
- Language proficiency in both Arabic and English
- Experience with interpretation techniques including: simultaneous interpretation, consecutive interpretation, whispered interpretation, sight translation, conduit interpretation, cultural adaption, note taking and technical vocabulary mastery.
- The ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds, demonstrating understanding and sensitivity to varying viewpoints
- Subject matter expertise
- Strong listening skills
- Effective communication skills
- A high level of ethical conduct, with the intention to uphold ARK’s values and integrity at all times
- Specialized training and certification in interpretation or related area
- Experience in an interpreter role
- Research skills
Why join ARK?
- Impactful Work: Your expertise will directly impact the lives of those in need
- Global Reach: Collaborate with international experts and local stakeholders
- Innovation: Engage in pioneering solutions for sustainable change
- Career Growth: Expand your horizons with varied projects and challenges
Our team covers a diverse range of professional backgrounds, from diplomacy, humanitarian, development and the military, to the UN, civil society groups, multilateral organisations, journalism and the private sector.
An ARK Person Is:
Smart: We think deeply about things. We’re proud of our institutional knowledge and our grounding in rigorous research, which we use to make informed decisions.
Humble: Our work leaves little room for pride or arrogance. Our operating environment is constantly evolving, and we recognise out limitations. We believe in and rely on the education and experiences of others while remaining quick to read, invite feedback, and ask sensible questions.
Accountable: Each of us want ARK, its partners, and beneficiaries to succeed. This means taking initiative, assuming ownership when necessary and never giving up on our beneficiaries. We are committed and accountable, to both our donors and the communities we serve.
Collegiate: We know we are stronger together and that every contribution counts. We trust each other and always support each other.
Outspoken: We tackle diverse challenges and we always want to find the best solution to a problem. We aren’t afraid to share our opinions and we want to hear those of others too.
ARK Group is an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. ARK Group does not discriminate on the basis of ability, age, gender identity or expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs or sexual orientation. We welcome all kinds of diversity. ARK Group places human dignity at the centre of its development and stabilisation work and is this committed to the protection from sexual exploitation and abuse of children and adults. All ARK Group employees and related personnel are expected to share this commitment and only those who also uphold these values will be recruited as part of our team. This vacancy is therefore subject to a range of due diligence checks.
in Jordan , Amman city
number of positions
1 Jobs available, apply now