Join a Challenger
Being a traditional bank just isn’t our thing. We are big believers in innovating the banking experience because we believe Canadians deserve better options, and we challenge ourselves and our teams to creatively transform what’s possible in banking. Our team is made up of inquisitive and agile minds that find smarter ways of doing things. If you’re not afraid of taking on big challenges and redefining the future, you belong with us. You’ll get to work with people who will encourage you to reach new heights. We like to keep things fun, ask questions and learn together.
We are a big (and growing!) family. Overall we serve more than 370,000 people across Canada through Equitable Bank, Canada's Challenger Bank™, and have been around for more than 50 years. Equitable Bank's wholly-owned subsidiary, Concentra Bank, supports credit unions across Canada that serve more than 5 million members. Together we have over $100 billion in combined assets under management and administration, with a clear mandate to drive change in Canadian banking to enrich people's lives. Our EQ Bank platform (eqbank.ca
) has been named the top Schedule I Bank in Canada on the Forbes World's Best Banks 2023, 2022, and 2021 lists.
Purpose of Job
As part of a growing and dynamic Accounting team, the Senior Accountant Specialist, reporting to Manager Accounting, will be responsible for providing support to the finance function by validating GL numbers, preparing Financial statements notes, reconciling the General Ledger with Sub-Ledgers, performing Bank Reconciliations, providing analysis, developing Accounting Product Plan and providing support for existing and ongoing projects
- Key member to the project implementation team by independently representing accounting team in testing phases. Updating Accounting Manager with ongoing progress and keep the manager aware of all the key issues and project status.
- Act as team lead for mortgage bank reconciliations. Performing periodic reconciliation between sub-ledger and GL including Bank reconciliations.
- Validates GL balances by performing reconciliation between GL (PPLUS) and sub-ledger on periodic basis.
- Prepares aging analysis and share the same with Manager, Accounting.
- Follow-up with respective business units for clearance of reconciling balances.
- Communication with various departments to understand each product and prepares accounting plan for existing product
- Independently managing accounting and GL control of T24 system (Digital Banking Platform) and ensuring data migration and reconciliation between sub-systems.
- Preparing assigned notes to financial statements.
- Respond to ad hoc requests as required with a high degree of flexibility and attention to detail
- Reporting requests may require the candidate to collect, consolidate and analyze financial data derived from various sources
- The candidate may be required to assist in other areas of the Accounting and Finance department and other business units as needs arise
- Log issues as soon as they are identified and work with concerned stakeholders to raise the issues and resolve them promptly.
- Providing support to Manager Accounting for auditor requirements.
- Proactively find ways to improve the technical accuracy, validation, and organization of day-to-day deliverables.
Let's Talk About You!
- Degree in Accounting or Finance or working towards a Canadian Accounting designation (CPA)
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in an accounting function;
- Working knowledge of reconciling accounts is required;
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel;
- Quick in learning and getting acquainted with new software and processes;
- Self-starter with strong attention to detail and well organized;
- Strong time management skills to meet tight deadlines;
- Should be able to work in a team setting and will work closely with other organizational managers to support their projects.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and independently with high degree of accuracy;
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities (multi-tasking)
What we offer [For full-time permanent roles]
💰 Competitive discretionary bonus
✨ Market leading RRSP match program
🩺 Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
📝 Employee Share Purchase Plan
👶🏽 Maternity/Parental top-up while you care for your little one
🏝 Generous vacation policy, personal days and even a moving day
🖥 Virtual events to connect with your fellow colleagues
🎓 Annual professional development allowance and a comprehensive Career Development program
💛 A fulfilling opportunity to join one of the top FinTechs and help create a new kind of banking experience
The incumbent will be working hybrid and in office time will be spent working from Equitable Bank’s additional office space located at 351 King Street East, Toronto, ON.
Equitable Bank is deeply committed to inclusion. Our organization is stronger and our employees thrive when we honour and celebrate everyone’s diverse experiences and perspectives. In tandem with that commitment, we support and encourage our staff to grow not just in their career path, but personally as well.
We commit to providing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment for all applicants. Please let us know of any accommodations needed so that you can bring your best self to the application process and beyond. All candidates considered for hire must successfully pass a criminal background check and credit check to qualify for hire. While we appreciate your interest in applying, an Equitable recruiter will only contact leading candidates whose skills and qualifications closely match the requirements of the position.
We can’t wait to get to know you!